Clocks go back this weekend!!
So you may get an extra hour in bed this weekend but this does mean that the winter is well and truly here!! We have published a whole series of blogs recently about setting up your bike for winter so if you need a quick recap please visit “Our Blog” page. The one blog that we would really like to reiterate is the one about lights, we cannot highlight enough (pardon the pun) the importance of being visible as the nights get darker!!
Pretend winter doesn’t exist!
Now we know some of you will ignore all our posts about winter riding and tuck the bike away till spring, but have you ever thought about taking your bike for a bit of winter sun? Lots of people are now doing exactly that, and whether you choose to hire a bike once there (we recommend taking your own saddle if you do!) or just packing up your own bike then its a great way to get some winter training in. If you do take your own bike then we can assist you with what to pack (and we do have a bike box you can hire for £10 a day, £40 extra if you want us to strip down the bike, pack and re-build when back)
Essential kit to pack:
- Helmet (must be worn at all times when on the bike)
- Water bottle
- Saddle bag
- Biking Shoes
- Lights (for use in poor weather and tunnels! ESSENTIAL)
- Lightweight rain cape (even in nice weather the descents can be chilly)
- Mini-pump (so you can be independent in mending punctures)
- Spare tubes (4 if you have deep section rims)
- Tyre levers
- Multi tool
- Bike lock (optional)
Spare bike parts:
- 2 sets of spare brake pads (suitable for your rims)
- Rear derailleur hanger that fits your frame. Some bike shops may carry some in stock, however, hangers are ALL different and some makes are harder to get than others. There are literally 100’s of different types and they do have a tendency to get damaged in transit or in the event of a crash.
- Chain connector / chain link to suite your chain (there are so many types / sizes, best to be on the safe side and carry your own)
And finally, TOM’S WEEKLY OUTBURST!
“Go to Spain as you are less likely to be run off the road by stupid English drivers!!!” (Unless of course you ride for Giant-Alpecin)